Dr Ruth Cairns
BSc (Hons), MBBS, MRCPsych, CCT General Adult and Old Age Psychiatry
- Memory problems and dementia
- In older people, anxiety including: generalised anxiety, social anxiety, health anxiety
- Phobias and phobic anxiety
- Obsessive compulsive disorder (OCD) Panic and panic disorder
- Depression, resistant depression including affective and mood disorder Bipolar disorder including manic depression
- Stress including traumatic stress, adjustment disorders, workplace bullying and post traumatic stress disorder (PTSD)
- Personality issues including personality disorder
- Psychosis including schizophrenia and schizoaffective disorders
- Occupational mental health issues
- Dr Cairns charges £445 for an hour’s appointment and £245 for half an hour’s appointment.
- For self-pay appointments, the Clinic generally requires payment at the time of making a booking.
- Dr Cairns does not accept insurers and kindly requests prepayment for those with insurance cover.
- Cancellations less than 24 hours ahead of the appointment will be charged at 50% of the fee.
Dr Ruth Cairns is a consultant psychiatrist at the South London and Maudsley NHS Foundation Trust. She has nineteen years experience as a psychiatrist, nine at consultant level, and is trained as a consultant in both general adult and old age psychiatry. She specialises in working with older adults and is experienced in the assessment and management of common and severe mental health disorders including depression, anxiety, adjustment disorder, bipolar disorder, psychosis, memory problems and dementia, including complex presentations of dementia. Her consultant experience is in community, inpatient and outpatient settings.
Dr Cairns completed her training at the Maudsley Hospital and is now the Training Programme Director for Old Age Psychiatry at South London and Maudsley NHS Foundation Trust. She is an approved clinical supervisor for junior psychiatrists and arranges regular Academic Meetings for consultants and senior trainees in Old Age Psychiatry.
Dr Cairns has considerable experience in research and academic work. She was appointed to the Chadburn Clinical Lecturer Post in Liaison Psychiatry in 2008–2010. Her research interests are Mental Capacity and Deprivation of Liberty and she has had a number of publications in peer-reviewed journals. She remains engaged in this field of research. She is also a member of the Mental Capacity Act Committee at the Maudsley Hospital and is very experienced in assessment of mental capacity in clinical practice.
If you're an experienced Consultant Psychiatrist looking to either start or build your own private practice, do see our Join Us page.
University College London and the Middlesex Medical School
- Physiology BSc 1995
- MBBS 1998
Senior House Officer and Specialist Registrar Training in General Adult and Old Age Psychiatry
- Maudsley Hospital, South London and Maudsley NHS Foundation Trust, 2000 - 2010
- Clinical Research Post, Institute of Psychiatry, Psychology and Neuroscience (IoPPN), King's College London, 2003-2004
- Chadburn Lecturer in Liaison Psychiatry, Institute of Psychiatry, Psychology and Neuroscience (IoPPN), 2008-2010
- South London and Maudsley NHS Foundation Trust, 2010 -
- Consultant Psychiatrist, The Sloane Court Clinic, 2017 -