- Memory problems and dementia
- In older people, anxiety including: generalised anxiety, social anxiety, health anxiety
- Phobias and phobic anxiety
- Obsessive compulsive disorder (OCD) Panic and panic disorder
- Depression, resistant depression including affective and mood disorder Bipolar disorder including manic depression
- Stress including traumatic stress, adjustment disorders, workplace bullying and post traumatic stress disorder (PTSD)
- Personality issues including personality disorder
- Psychosis including schizophrenia and schizoaffective disorders
- Occupational mental health issues
Dr Ruth Cairns
BSc (Hons), MBBS, MRCPsych, CCT General Adult and Old Age Psychiatry
Verified Patient, October 2022
Verified Patient, February 2021
Dr Ruth Cairns is a consultant psychiatrist at the South London and Maudsley NHS Foundation Trust. She has nineteen years experience as a psychiatrist, nine at consultant level, and is trained as a consultant in both general adult and old age psychiatry. She specialises in working with older adults and is experienced in the assessment and management of common and severe mental health disorders including depression, anxiety, adjustment disorder, bipolar disorder, psychosis, memory problems and dementia, including complex presentations of dementia. Her consultant experience is in community, inpatient and outpatient settings.
Dr Cairns completed her training at the Maudsley Hospital and is now the Training Programme Director for Old Age Psychiatry at South London and Maudsley NHS Foundation Trust. She is an approved clinical supervisor for junior psychiatrists and arranges regular Academic Meetings for consultants and senior trainees in Old Age Psychiatry.
Dr Cairns has considerable experience in research and academic work. She was appointed to the Chadburn Clinical Lecturer Post in Liaison Psychiatry in 2008–2010. Her research interests are Mental Capacity and Deprivation of Liberty and she has had a number of publications in peer-reviewed journals. She remains engaged in this field of research. She is also a member of the Mental Capacity Act Committee at the Maudsley Hospital and is very experienced in assessment of mental capacity in clinical practice.
If you're an experienced Consultant Psychiatrist looking to either start or build your own private practice, do see our Join Us page.