Dr Andrew Johns
BSc(Hons), MB BS, FRCPsych, DFP
- Medico-legal aspects of psychosis, mood disorders, drug or alcohol misuse, personality disorders, risk assessment, PTSD and the consequences of accidents or injury.
- Pre-sentencing reports in criminal cases.
- Psychiatric assessment in family law cases. Death in custody reports.
- Extradition, refuges, immigration and mental health.
- Assessment for 1st Tier mental health tribunals, Parole Board Hearings.
- Trained writing expert reports for the courts and giving expert evidence.
- Familiar with the requirements for experts within the Criminal and Civil Procedure Rules.
Dr Johns charges £380 an hour for medico-legal work. He does not accept LAA’s rates for expert witness reports.
Cancellations less than 24 hours ahead of the appointment will be charged 50% of the fee for one hours work.
Dr Andrew Johns has over 30 years of experience as a consultant psychiatrist. He trained in psychiatry at the Maudsley Hospital and has since managed adult psychiatric patients with addiction and forensic problems in ward and community/out-patient settings. He is experienced in the assessment and management of mental illness, substance misuse, offending behaviour and personality disorder. Since 2013 he has worked part-time at the Maudsley Hospital and sits as a specialist member of the Parole Board.
He has considerable medico-legal experience of criminal, civil and family cases; involving fitness for police interview or trial, serious offending, the impact of substance misuse on offending or health, coercive control, sentencing recommendations for the courts, risk assessment; also fraud, immigration, extradition, the mental consequences of injury, PTSD, the assessment of parenting, and preparation of reports for 1st tier tribunals. He has prepared over 500 expert psychiatric reports for the courts and given expert evidence to the Courts of Appeal, Crown and Family courts and to 1st Tier Mental Health Tribunals. He has prepared reports into serious untoward events in healthcare settings and is trained in structured investigations. He has 30 publications in academic journals or authoritative medical textbooks.
He was a trainer of junior psychiatrists and an Honorary Senior Lecturer at the Institute of Psychiatry, Psychology and Neuroscience (IoPPN), having completed his clinical psychiatric training at the Maudsley Hospital.
Before entering psychiatry he trained as a junior doctor at Guys and Northwick Park Hospitals.
Approved under section 12 (2) of the Mental Health Act 1983.
GMC no: 2413918. On the GMC specialist register for general and forensic psychiatry.
Average number of new instructions a year: 15.
Number of reports written in last 3 years: 33.
Number of court appearances in last 3 years: 4
Number of Parole Board hearings attended: 34.
Geographical Areas of Work:
Assessments can be offered within two weeks of receiving full instructions, necessary documents and records.
Generally, reports are available 2-4 weeks after assessment. They are prepared according to standard practice.
Guys Hospital, University of London.
- Gowland-Hopkins Prize in Biochemistry 1974.
- BSc 1st class Honours in Biochemistry 1975
- MB, BS 1978.
- House Officer 1978-1979
- Senior House Officer 1979-1980
Northwick Park Hospital, London
- Senior House Officer 1981
Maudsley Hospital psychiatric training
- Registrar 1982
- MRCPsych 1984.
- Senior Registrar to 1988.
St George’s University Hospital London
- Senior Lecturer in Addiction Psychiatry, Honorary Consultant Psychiatrist. and Clinical Director of the Addiction Services. 1988 to 1995.
Broadmoor High-secure hospital
- Senior Lecturer in Forensic Psychiatry and Honorary Consultant Forensic Psychiatrist.
- Re-trained in forensic psychiatry. 1995 to 1999.
- FRCPsych. 1996.
- Consultant Forensic Psychiatrist to medium secure unit and Clinical Director for medium secure services. Higher Training programme director for Forensic Psychiatry - 1999 to 2008.
- Consultant Forensic Psychiatrist to the Southwark Forensic Community Team 2008; since March 2013, part-time.
- Specialist member – appointed August 2018.