- Anxiety including generalised anxiety
- Health anxiety
- Phobias and phobic anxiety
- Obsessive compulsive disorder (OCD)
- Panic and panic disorder
- Resistant depression including affective and mood disorder
- Bipolar disorder including manic and manic depression
- Personality issues
- Stress including traumatic stress, adjustment disorders, workplace bullying and post traumatic stress disorder (PTSD)
- Personality issues including personality disorder
- Psychosis including schizophrenia and schizoaffective disorders
- University / college student mental health
- Occupational mental health issues
- Alcohol issues
Dr Roger Howells
BSc(Hons), MB BChir, FRCPsych
Verified Patient, April 2022
Verified Patient, January 2022
Verified Patient, December 2021
Verified Patient, March 2021
Dr Roger Howells is a consultant psychiatrist with 25 years of experience working at this level.
Dr Howells was formerly a consultant psychiatrist at the Maudsley Hospital, where for twelve years he was engaged in the treatment of adult psychiatric patients both in an inpatient and community/outpatient setting. He is skilled in the management of both minor and severe mental illness. He is experienced in the management of alcohol dependence, and comorbid drug and alcohol problems generally.
He was a trainer of junior psychiatrists and an Honorary Senior Clinical Tutor at Kings College Hospital providing teaching to clinical medical students attached to the Maudsley Hospital. Prior to this he was a Lecturer and Research Fellow at the Institute of Psychiatry, Psychology and Neuroscience (IoPPN) having completed his clinical psychiatric training at the Maudsley Hospital.
Before entering psychiatry he trained as a junior doctor in medicine at the Hammersmith Hospital, Brompton Hospital, St George’s Hospital and National Hospital for Nervous Diseases.
He left the NHS in 2006 with great gratitude for the excellent opportunities and training it afforded him, with the aim of setting up a small but exemplary clinical service in central London embodying the principles of excellence instilled in him by his psychiatric mentors. He has done this with like-minded associates from similar backgrounds.
If you're an experienced Consultant Psychiatrist, or Clinical or Counselling Psychologist looking to either start or build your own private practice, do see our Join Us page.