Dr Shubulade Smith
CBE, MBBS, FRSM, MD, FRCPsych
- Post traumatic stress disorder
- Women's health
- Antipsychotic drug side-effects
- Psychotic disorders
- Dr Smith charges £380 for an hour’s appointment and £225 for half an hour’s appointment.
- For self-pay appointments, the Clinic generally requires payment at the time of making a booking.
- Dr Smith takes all insurers and accepts their fee level. A pre-authorization number is required.
- Cancellations less than 24 hours ahead of the appointment will be charged 50% of the fee.
Dr Shubulade Smith is a consultant psychiatrist with 27 years’ experience in psychiatry (20 years at consultant level), and a Visiting Senior Lecturer at the Institute of Psychiatry, Psychology and Neuroscience (IoPPN), King’s College London.
Dr Smith currently holds positions at the South London and Maudsley NHS Foundation Trust (SLaM), where she is the Clinical Director for the Forensic service. She previously ran the forensic intensive care unit at SLaM and prior to that the general intensive care unit at the Maudsley Hospital. Her ward was shortlisted for Psychiatric Team of the Year (2011). Dr Smith was voted a BMA pioneering consultant and nominated as a Woman of the Year in 2002 for the development of her “One Stop Shop”, a medication review and physical monitoring clinic for people with mental health problems.
She is recognised nationally and internationally for her work in the hormonal and reproductive effects of antipsychotic medications. Dr Smith has experience in using psychotherapeutic techniques for treating mental disorders and has used psychodynamic and cognitive therapy with her patients as well as running a psychodynamic group for people with personality disorders for two years. Her approach to psychiatric care is holistic, focusing on the complex interactions between the biological, psychological and social aspects of a person. It is her firm conviction that close attention to this complexity allows a better determination of how best to help that individual.
Dr Smith is a clinician with a strong academic focus who has published over 60 journal articles, research letters and book chapters in the field of psychiatry. She always seeks to make practical use of the latest evidence to provide her patients with optimal care. She continues to do research at the IoPPN. Dr Smith is a clinical supervisor and trains junior psychiatrists. She also teaches regularly on the Maudsley MRCPsych training course (training psychiatric trainees); the IoPPN Doctorate in Clinical Psychology course (teaching trainee clinical psychologists) and teaches medical students from Guys, Kings and St Thomas’ (GKT) Medical School.
Dr Smith is a highly skilled clinician with expertise in a broad range of mental health problems from common disorders such as anxiety and depression to more complex problems such as psychoses. She has many years’ experience working with people with co-morbid disorders e.g. bipolar illness complicated by substance use, depressive illness with PTSD. She has worked with both men and women throughout her career but has a special interest in women’s mental health having run a ward for women with severe mental disorders as well as doing research in this area. Dr Smith is a trained expert witness and has extensive experience of medicolegal work, including personal injury, clinical negligence, employment issues, family and criminal work. She was awarded a CBE in the Queen’s Birthday Honours for services to psychiatry in June 2019 and won the prestigious Royal College of Psychiatrists Psychiatrist of the Year award in November 2019.
If you're an experienced Consultant Psychiatrist looking to either start or build your own private practice, do see our Join Us page.
Guy’s Hospital Medical School, University of London
- Gillespie Prize in Psychological Medicine, 1991
- Henry Myers Prize in Psychological Medicine, 1991
Senior House Officer, Registrar and Senior Registrar Psychiatry Training
- Maudsley Hospital, Bethlem Royal and Maudsley NHS Trust, 1992 – 1999
- NHS Research Fellowship, Institute of Psychiatry, 1995 – 1996
- Clinical Research Fellow, Institute of Psychiatry, 1996 – 1998
- Maudsley Hospital, inpatient and community, Bethlem and Maudsley NHS Trust, 1999 – 2004
- Maudsley Hospital, Lead Consultant Psychiatric Intensive Care unit, South London and Maudsley NHS Foundation Trust 2005 – 2010
- Bethlem Royal Hospital, South London and Maudsley NHS Foundation Trust, 2010-2017
- Maudsley Hospital, Lead for Acute Forensic Pathway, South London Partnership, 2017 - present
- Clinical/Visiting Senior Lecturer, Institute of Psychiatry, Psychology and Neuroscience, Kings College London, 2004 – present
- The Sloane Court Clinic, Consultant Psychiatrist, 2011 –