Dr Simon Fleminger
BA, MB BChir, MA, PhD, FRCPsych, FRCP
- Brain injury
- Dr Fleminger charges £380 for an hour’s appointment and £200 for half an hour’s appointment.
- For self-pay appointments, the Clinic generally requires payment at the time of making a booking.
- Dr Fleminger does not accept insurers and kindly requests prepayment for those with insurance cover.
- Cancellations less than 24 hours ahead of the appointment will be charged 50% of the fee.
Dr Simon Fleminger is a consultant neuropsychiatrist with 34 years of experience as a psychiatrist, 25 at consultant level.
Dr Fleminger was formerly a consultant neuropsychiatrist at the Maudsley Hospital, where for fifteen years he set up and led the Lishman Brain Injury Unit, treating adults with neuropsychiatric sequelae of acquired brain injury, both in the out-patient and in-patient setting. He is skilled in the management of psychiatric problems that arise in adults with neurological conditions, particularly those who suffer brain injury for example following a head injury. Since his appointment as a consultant neuropsychiatrist in 1996 he has provided consultant leadership to four brain injury rehabilitation units. Since 2013 he has worked in the Brain injury out-patient clinic at St Mary’s Hospital, London, as visiting consultant neuropsychiatrist.
Dr Fleminger’s academic accomplishments include being honorary Senior Lecturer at Kings College Hospital, where he undertook research and teaching in neuropsychiatry. He has over a hundred peer reviewed publications. For ten years he was an associate editor of a major clinical neurosciences journal, the Journal of Neurology, Neurosurgery and Psychiatry, handling all their neuropsychiatry manuscripts. He was Chair of the Neuropsychiatry Special Interest Group of the Royal College of Psychiatrists. He has worked with the MoD to advise on the management of military personnel who have suffered head injuries.
Before entering psychiatry he trained as a junior doctor in neurology and neurosurgery at Atkinson Morley’s Hospital and St Mary’s Hospital in London, and was a research registrar in the Department of Neurology at the Institute of Psychiatry, Psychology and Neuroscience (IoPPN), King's College London for three years.
He left the NHS in 2011 and since then has worked at a neurorehabilitation hospital near Salisbury where he has also been Medical Director and Responsible Officer. He continues to be invited to lecture at conferences both in the UK and abroad, his last international lecture being in September 2017 at the World Congress of Neurology in Kyoto.
Undergraduate Medical Training, University of Cambridge & St George's Hospital Medical School
- BA Medical Science Tripos; part II physiology. Class 2:1
- MA (Cambridge) 1979
- MB BChir (Cambridge), 1978
- Devitt-Pendlebury Entrance Scholarship St George’s Hospital Medical School, 1975
Senior House Officer in Neurology and Neurosurgery
- Neurosurgery department, Atkinson Morley’s Hospital 1979
- Neurology department, St Mary’s Hospital, Praed Street. 1980
Senior House Officer, Registrar & Senior Registrar Psychiatry Training
- Maudsley Hospital, South London & Maudsley NHS Trust, 1983– 1986 and 1989 – 1992
- Research Assistant, Department of Neurophysiology, Heidleberg University, 1975
- Research Registrar, Department of Neurology, Institute of Psychiatry, Psychology and Neuroscience (IoPPN) 1980 – 1983
- Mental Health Foundation Research Fellow, Department of Neuropsychiatry, Institute of Psychiatry, Psychology and Neuroscience (IoPPN) 1986 – 1989
Consultant Psychiatrist, Consultant Neuropsychiatrist and Senior Lecturer
- Senior Lecturer and Honorary Consultant Psychiatrist, London Hospital Medical College 1992 – 1996
- Consultant Neuropsychiatrist, Maudsley Hospital, South London & Maudsley NHS Trust, 1996-2011
- Honorary Senior Lecturer, Kings College London, 1996 – 2011
- Visiting Teacher, Institute of Psychiatry, Psychology and Neuroscience, (IoPPN) Kings College London, 2011
- Consultant Neuropsychiatrist, Glenside Hospital, near Salisbury, 2012 –
- Emeritus Consultant Psychiatrist South London & Maudsley NHS Trust, 2011 –
- Visiting Consultant Neuropsychiatrist, Imperial College Healthcare NHS Trust, 2013 –
- Consultant Neuropsychiatrist, Sloane Court Clinic, 2017 –