If you or a loved one are in crisis and need immediate assistance, please view our Crisis Information
Psychologists and Psychotherapists
Dr Ruth Ann Harpur
BSc(Hons), PhD, DClinPsych, PGDip (Cognitive Therapy)
- Adjustment disorders
- Anxiety (including generalised anxiety, health anxiety, panic, phobias, obsessive compulsive disorder)
- Bipolar disorder
- Childhood trauma
- Complex trauma
- Emotion regulation
- Low self esteem
- Post traumatic stress disorder
- Occupational and professional issues
- Relationship difficulties
- Self-criticism and perfectionism
- Dr Harpur charges £230 for an hour's appointment.
- For self-pay appointments, the Clinic generally requires payment at the time of making a booking.
- Dr Harpur accepts patients insured by BUPA Global, CISI, WPA and Cigna. A pre-authorization number is required.
- Cancellations made within 48 hours of the appointment time may still be liable to be charged, at up to 100% of the appointment fee. This will be at your clinician’s discretion.
Dr. Ruth Ann Harpur is a clinical psychologist with over ten years’ post qualification experience in the assessment and treatment of psychological difficulties in adults. She has worked in a wide range of mental health service settings including community mental health teams, psychiatric inpatient services and private practice. Prior to working at Sloane Court Clinic she ran the psychology service for the psychiatric inpatient wards at Lewisham Hospital as part of the South London and Maudsley Trust.
Ruth Ann is highly experienced in working with a wide range of mental illnesses including depression, anxiety disorders, OCD, panic, PTSD and complex post-traumatic stress disorder, psychosis and bipolar affective disorder. She supports people with a wide range of psychological difficulties including managing emotions, interpersonal/relationship difficulties, low self-esteem, perfectionism, self-confidence, self-criticism, self-harm, suicidal feelings and professional issues.
Ruth Ann completed specialist training in cognitive behavioural therapy (CBT) at the Oxford Cognitive Therapy Centre in 2012. From 2014-2016. She was a therapist on a trial of Schema Therapy at South London and Maudsley NHS Trust and is skilled in offering longer term schema focused work. In addition to CBT and schema focused approaches, she has experience of integrating Compassion Focused approaches and Dialectical Behaviour Therapy (DBT) principles into therapy.
She has also lectured at Salomons Doctorate in Clinical Psychology and CBT training programmes and at the Institute of Psychiatry, Psychology and Neuroscience (IoPPN), King’s College London on treating people with complex psychological problems and psychological therapies for psychosis and in inpatient settings. One of her recent articles on this topic, accessible here, focusses on the link between conspiracy theories and mental illness.
If you're an experienced Clinical or Counselling Psychologist looking to either start or build your own private practice, do see our Join Us page.
University of Kent at Canterbury
- BSc Applied Psychology with Clinical Psychology (Hons) 2:1, 2002
University of Southampton
- PhD Developmental Psychology, 2006
University of East Anglia
- Doctorate in Clinical Psychology, 2009
University of Oxford
- Postgraduate Diploma in Cognitive Therapy (Distinction), 2012
Clinical Psychologist Positions
- Specialist Clinical Psychologist, Greenwich Recovery Teams, Oxleas NHS Foundation Trust, 2009-2011
- Highly Specialist Clinical Psychologist, Brent, Isleworth and Chiswick Community Mental Health Team, West London NHS Trust, 2011-2012
- Senior Clinical Psychologist, Acute Inpatient Psychiatrist Wards, Lewisham Hospital, South London and Maudsley NHS Foundation Trust, 2012-2017
- Clinical Psychologist, Sloane Court Clinic, 2020-