If you or a loved one are in crisis and need immediate assistance, please view our Crisis Information
Dr Muj Husain
MBBChir, MA (Hons) Cantab, MRCPsych
Persistent Physical Symptoms including:
- Chronic Pain
- ME/Chronic Fatigue
- Post-viral fatigue
- Irritable Bowel Syndrome
- Non-cardiac chest pain
- Hyperventilation or dysfunctional breathing
- Persistent cough
- Irritable bladder syndrome
- Chronic pelvic pain
- Persistent physical symptoms in long term conditions
- Functional Neurological Disorder
- Medically Unexplained Symptoms
General Adult / Liaison Psychiatry:
- Anxiety including Generalised Anxiety, Social Anxiety, Health Anxiety, Phobias, Obsessive Compulsive Disorder (OCD), Panic Disorder, Body Dysmorphic Disorder
- Depression and mood disorders including Bipolar Affective Disorder
- Stress, Burnout, and Adjustment Disorders
- Post Traumatic Stress Disorder (PTSD)
- Occupational Mental Health (related to employment)
- Student Mental Health
- Dr Husain charges £410 for an hour’s appointment and £245 for half an hour’s appointment.
- For self-pay appointments, the Clinic generally requires payment at the time of making a booking.
- Dr Husain is currently recognised by the following insurers: Aetna Global Benefits, Aviva, Healix Health Services Ltd, Vitality Health, WPA, CISI, CIGNA
- Cancellations made within 48 hours of the appointment time may still be liable to be charged, at up to 100% of the appointment fee. This will be at your clinician’s discretion.
Please enquire with the clinic for Dr Husain's medico-legal fees.
Dr Muj Husain is a Consultant Psychiatrist at the South London and Maudsley NHS Foundation Trust. He is the consultant for the Maudsley Hospital’s National Persistent Physical Symptoms Unit. He also works in Liaison (mind and body) Psychiatry at King’s College Hospital where he sees people with a wide range of mental health problems including anxiety, adjustment disorder, depression, bipolar disorder, psychosis, OCD and PTSD. He has special expertise in conditions affecting both the mind and body, for example in chronic illness and long term physical health conditions.
He is an expert in persistent physical symptoms which includes conditions such as chronic pain, fibromyalgia, irritable bowel syndrome and functional neurological disorder. He is able to see people with complex physical symptoms where there is no clear diagnosis or where there are multiple diagnoses. These are serious physical health conditions which can involve significant disability and impairment. He takes an evidence-based, patient centred approach to supporting people with these diagnoses. Using a rehabilitation model people can and do get better or show improvement. His Unit at the Maudsley is also a key part of King’s Health Partners’ treatment pathway for Long Covid.
He is also able to provide occupational advice and recommendations regarding these conditions for those whose employment is affected or who are in education.
He has published peer-reviewed research on persistent physical symptoms and written scholarly educational articles for doctors and other health professionals. He regularly teaches these topics to audiences including other health professionals and students. He has given talks at the Royal College of Psychiatrists, the Royal College of Physicians and the Institute of Psychiatry, Psychology and Neuroscience (IoPPN).
He holds a senior leadership role in his Trust as Associate Medical Director for National and Specialist services. This includes management responsibilities for a wide range of national specialist expert services in neuropsychiatry, perinatal psychiatry, affective (mood) disorders, eating disorders, anxiety disorders, trauma, HIV and psychosexual health. He is also Clinical Director for Mental Health at the Health Innovation Network where his his work helps with the spread and adoption of new evidence-based health technologies and innovations.
He is a graduate of the prestigious NHS Medical Director’s Clinical Fellowship Scheme where worked with the General Medical Council which regulates doctors.
Dr Husain also has medico-legal experience of civil, family and criminal cases including fitness for to plead, personal injury and medical negligence.
He has prepared reports into serious untoward events in healthcare settings and is trained in structured investigations. He also regularly advises the Parliamentary and Health Service Ombudsman in serious incident, complaint and negligence investigations.
Approved under section 12 (2) of the Mental Health Act 1983.
GMC no: 6128657. On the GMC specialist register for general and liaison psychiatry.
Average number of new instructions a year: 10
Geographical Areas of Work:
Assessments can be offered within two weeks of receiving full instructions, necessary documents and records.
Generally, reports are available 2-4 weeks after assessment. They are prepared according to standard practice.
University of Cambridge, School of Clinical Medicine
- MA (Hons) Cantab
Academic Foundation Training
- Royal Bournemouth and Southampton General Hospitals, 2005 - 2007
Core and Specialist Psychiatric Training
- South London & Maudsley NHS Trust, 2007-2015
- Experience included liaison psychiatry, neuropsychiatry, general adult psychiatry and forensic psychiatry
Fellowships and National Roles
- Fellowship in Medical Education 2011-2012
- National Medical Director’s Clinical Fellowship, General Medical Council / Faculty of Leadership and Management 2012 - 2013
- Chair, Royal College of Psychiatrists Emergency Psychiatry Taskforce, 2014 - 2015
- Chair, Academy of Medical Royal Colleges Trainee Doctors Committee, 2013 - 2014
- Chair, Psychiatric Trainees Committee, Royal College of Psychiatrists, 2012 - 2013
Consultant Liaison Psychiatrist
- Consultant for the national Persistent Physical Symptoms Research and Treatment Unit, Maudsley Hospital 2015 – present
- Liaison Psychiatry Consultant at King’s College Hospital 2015 - present
- Consultant Psychiatrist at Sloane Court Clinic, 2022 - Present
- Clinical Director for Mental Health, Health Innovation Network, 2018 - present
- Associate Medical Director for National and Specialist Services, Maudsley Hospital, 2019 - present