Dr Michael Kelleher
M.B., B.Ch, B.A.O, MRCP (Ireland), MRCPsych, MSc
- Alcohol addiction and certain drug use disorders (excluding opioid and other drug substitution therapies)
- Anxiety, depression including affective and mood disorder
- Bipolar disorder including manic and manic depression
- Stress and adjustment disorders
- Please contact the Clinic to enquire about fees.
- For self-pay appointments, the Clinic generally requires payment at the time of making a booking.
- Dr Kelleher does not take AXA PPP UK or Bupa UK but takes all other insurers and accepts their fee level. A pre-authorization number is required.
- Cancellations less than 24 hours ahead of the appointment will be charged 50% of the fee.
Dr Michael Kelleher is a consultant psychiatrist specializing in the treatment of addiction. He has twenty years’ experience in the assessment and treatment of alcohol and drug dependence and their psychiatric co-morbidities.
Dr Kelleher trained in addiction psychiatry at the Maudsley hospital and Institute of Psychiatry in London. He was appointed consultant psychiatrist for Lambeth addictions at the Maudsley Hospital in 2003, a post he continues to hold. He regularly lectures to both national and international audiences and is actively involved in addictions research.
In 2010 he was appointed as clinical advisor to the National Treatment Agency and subsequently in 2013 to the same post at Public Health England’s Alcohol Drugs and Tobacco Division. In this role he supports the development of national policy for the treatment of alcohol and drug dependent.
Prior to entering psychiatry Dr Kelleher trained as a junior doctor in medicine at Cork University Hospital. He holds a Master’s degree in cognitive behavioural therapy (CBT).
He is skilled in the assessment and treatment of alcohol and drug dependence, as well as co-morbid psychiatric conditions. This encompasses pharmacological treatment such as detoxification and abstinence focussed medication. He is also skilled in the provision of psychological interventions to help sustain abstinence.
In his work at the Sloane Court Clinic he works with alcohol-related problems. He does not provide opioid or other drug substitution therapy.
If you're an experienced Consultant Psychiatrist looking to either start or build your own private practice, do see our Join Us page.
Senior House Officer in Medical Training
- Cork University Hospital, 1994 -1996
Senior House Officer, & Specialist Registrar Psychiatry Training
- Maudsley Hospital, South London and Maudsley NHS Trust, 1996 -2000
- Clinical Research Fellow, Addictions, Institute of Psychiatry, Psychology and Neuroscience, Kings College London, 2000-2003
- Clinical Advisor to National Treatment Agency for Substance Misuse, 2010-2013
- Clinical Advisor to Alcohol Drugs and Tobacco Division, Public Health England, 2013 -
- Consultant psychiatrist and Clinical lead for Lambeth Addictions Consortium, South London and Maudsley NHS Trust, 2003 -
- Honorary Senior Lecturer in Addictions, Kings College London, 2015 -
- Consultant Psychiatrist, The Sloane Court Clinic, 2017 -