Dr Marilia Calcia
MRCPsych, PgCert, FHEA
- Anxiety disorders including generalised anxiety, panic disorder, obsessive compulsive disorder (OCD), Post traumatic stress disorder (PTSD), phobias
- Bipolar affective disorder
- Personality issues
- Adjustment disorders
- Stress and burnout
- University / college student mental health
- Mental health difficulties in the context of physical health problems
- Liaison psychiatry
- Dr Calcia charges £395 for an hour’s appointment and £245 for half an hour’s appointment.
- For self-pay appointments, the Clinic generally requires payment at the time of making a booking.
- Cancellations made within 48 hours of the appointment time may still be liable to be charged, at up to 100% of the appointment fee. This will be at your clinician’s discretion.
Dr Calcia is a Consultant Liaison Psychiatrist at the South London and Maudsley NHS Foundation Trust.
Dr Calcia trained at the Maudsley Training Scheme as both a General Adult Psychiatrist and Liaison Psychiatrist, with expertise in working in the interface between physical and mental health. As part of that training she has extensive experience in community/outpatient psychiatry and inpatient psychiatry, including working within specialist services such as the TREAT service for treatment-resistant psychosis, early intervention in psychosis, addictions psychiatry and Persistent Medical Symptoms clinic. She is registered with the General Medical Council as a specialist in General Adult Psychiatry and has an endorsement from the Royal College of Psychiatrists in Liaison Psychiatry. Prior to training in the UK, Dr Calcia graduated in Medicine in Rio de Janeiro, Brazil, in 2007 and completed postgraduate psychiatric training at the Institute of Psychiatry at the Federal University of Rio de Janeiro in 2011. She gained further experience in Interpersonal Psychotherapy (IPT) by completing a Master Universitario at the University of Pisa, Italy, in 2013.
She is experienced in the assessment and management of common and complex mental health problems including anxiety, depression, OCD, PTSD, Bipolar Affective Disorder and psychoses such as schizophrenia. She has extensive experience of working with people with mental health difficulties in the context of chronic or severe physical health problems, particularly type 1 and 2 diabetes, renal disease, heart disease and transplant recipients.
In her NHS practice Dr Calcia works as a Consultant Liaison Psychiatrist at King’s College Hospital, in the emergency department and hospital wards. She also works in the innovative Diabetes Psychiatry and Psychology Service at King’s College Hospital, where she provides assessment and treatment of mental health difficulties for people with diabetes. These include issues such as diabetes-related distress and anxiety, needle phobia, anxiety around hypoglycaemia or hyperglycaemia, depression or adjustment reactions related to a diagnosis of diabetes and eating disorders in the context of diabetes. Some of her recent work can be read upon further here.
Dr Calcia has an interest in clinical education; she has a Postgraduate Certificate in Clinical Education from King’s College London and is a Fellow of the Higher Education Academy and an associate of the General Medical Council, acting as an examiner for the PLAB exam, for doctors wishing to join UK practice. She is also a clinical and educational supervisor for doctors in training in the NHS and has developed and delivered training for Health Education England.
In addition to her clinical and educational work, Dr Calcia is a doctoral researcher at the Section of Women’s Mental Health at the Institute of Psychiatry, Psychology and Neuroscience (IoPPN), King’s College London, where she is researching domestic violence and abuse and mental health service use. She has published research papers and given presentations at international conferences in this topic and others related to her clinical and educational work.
Dr Calcia can offer consultations in English, Portuguese and Italian.
If you're an experienced Consultant Psychiatrist looking to either start or build your own private practice, do see our Join Us page.
Federal University of the State of Rio de Janeiro, Brazil
- Medical degree (Primary Medical Qualification), 2007
Institute of Psychiatry, Federal University of Rio de Janeiro, Brazil
- Postgraduate training in Psychiatry, 2008-2011
University of Pisa, Italy
- Master Universitario II Livello in Interpersonal Psychotherapy (IPT), 2011-2013
King’s College London
- Clinical Research Worker, TREAT service (treatment-resistant psychosis), 2014-2015
- Postgraduate Certificate in Clinical Education, 2015-2017
- Doctoral research student, Section of Women’s Mental Health, Health Service and Population Research Department (HSPR), Institute of Psychiatry, Psychology and Neuroscience (IoPPN), 2017-present
Core and Specialist Psychiatric Training
- Central and North West London NHS Foundation Trust (2012-2013)
- Oxleas NHS Foundation Trust and South London & Maudsley NHS Foundation Trust, 2013-2014 and 2014-2018
- Experience included liaison psychiatry, general adult psychiatry (inpatient, outpatient and home treatment), older adult psychiatry, addictions psychiatry and forensic psychiatry
Consultant Psychiatrist Roles
- Consultant Liaison Psychiatrist at King’s College Hospital, 2018 - present
- Consultant Psychiatrist at Sloane Court Clinic, 2022 - present