Professor Marco Catani
MD(Hons), MRCPsych, PhD
Consultations available in English and Italian
- Attention deficit disorder (adults)
- Autistic spectrum disorders (adults)
- Memory and cognitive problems
- Neuropsychiatric conditions
- Sports-related psychiatric problems
- Prof Catani charges £425 for an hour’s appointment, £225 for half an hour’s appointment and £850 for 2 hour ADHD assessments.
- For self-pay appointments, the Clinic generally requires payment at the time of making a booking.
- Prof Catani does not accept insurers and kindly requests prepayment for those with insurance cover.
- Cancellations less than 72 hours ahead of the appointment will be charged 50% of the fee. Cancellations less than 12 hours ahead of the appointment will be charged at the full fee.
Marco Catani is Professor of Neuroanatomy and Psychiatry at the Institute of Psychiatry, Psychology and Neuroscience (IoPPN), Kings College London and Honorary Consultant Psychiatrist at The Maudsley Hospital. He is the head of the NatBrainLab and is actively involved in clinical research of neurodevelopmental and neuropsychiatric conditions, particularly autism and ADHD. He has written more than 100 scientific papers and co-authored the Atlas of Human Brain Connections in 2012. He has received several awards, including the Norman Geschwind Prize in Behavioral Neurology from the American Academy of Neurology 2012. His work has been featured in the New Scientist, Scientific American Mind, British Medical Journal, and Radio 4. His most recent book Brain Renaissance from Vesalius to Modern Neuroscience tells the fascinating life and work of the great anatomist Andreas Vesalius and his understanding of the brain.
Professor Catani is bilingual in English and Italian and has been a member of the Royal College of Psychiatrists MRCPsych since 2005.
He is available to see general psychiatry problems such as anxiety and depression, as well as more specialist problems such as adult Attention Deficit Disorder ADD, and Attention Deficit and Hyperactivity Disorder ADHD, Autism Spectrum Conditions ASC (aka ASD), and patients with psychological and cognitive issues arising out of neurological conditions such as Parkinsons disease, neurosurgery, dementias, multiple sclerosis (MS), movement disorders, and stroke. Patients are requested to seek referral through their GP, or consultant.
Dr Catani is available to work both in English and Italian.
Il Professor Catani riceve pazienti con disturbi di tipo Autistico/Asperger e Deficit di Attenzione/Iperattivita’ presso la Sloane Court Clinic di Chelsea, Londra. Inoltre e’ esperto di malattie neuropsichiatriche legate a tumori o traumi cerebrali, Malattia di Parkinson, Malattia di Alzheimer ed altre patologie degenerative del linguaggio.
Il Professor Catani offre consulenze medico-legali ad atleti e giocatori di livello internazionale ed e’ stato recentemente eletto membro della Federazione Internazionale delle Associazioni di Atletica (International Association of Athletics Federation, IAAF) dove si occupa di medicina ed antidoping (comitato TUE). Ha lavorato come consulente medico-legale per casi di alto profile internazionale presso la Court of Arbitration for Sport (CAS) ed il tribuale nazionale anti-doping UK.
Marco Catani e’ Professore di Neuroanatomia e Psichiatria all’Istituto di Psichiatria del King’s College London e primario del Maudsley Hospital. E’ direttore del laboratorio NatBrainLab (www.natbrainlab.com) dove svolge attivita’ di ricerca clinica nell’ambito dei disturbi dell’eta’ evolutiva nell’adulto e patologie neuropsichiatriche. Ha scritto piu’ di 100 articoli pubblicati nelle maggiori riviste internazionali di neurologia e neuropsichiatria ed e’ autore del libro ‘Atlas of Human Brain Connections’ pubblicato dalla Oxford University Press nel 2012. E’ uno dei maggiori esperti internazionali di trattografia e linguaggio.
Ha ricevuto numerosi premi internazionali, tra cui il premio Norman Geschwind in Behavioral Neurology dall’American Academy of Neurology (2012) e l’Investigator Award dal Wellcome Trust (2015). I risultati del suo lavoro sono comparsi su riviste quali New Scientist, Scientific American Mind, British Medical Journal, ed in programmi televisivi e radiofonici della BBC. Per il suo libro ‘Brain Renaissance: from Vesalius to Modern Neuroscience’ pubblicato dalla Oxford University Press nel 2015 ha ricevuto il premio Outstanding Book in the History of the Neurosciences dalla International Society for the History of Neurosciences (2016).
Egli e’ responsabile della revisione del Sistema Nervoso Centrale per la 42ma edizione del prestigioso libro Gray's Anatomy. E’ inoltre associate editor di riviste scientifiche internazionali quali Neuroimage, Human Brain Mapping, Cortex, Translational Neuroscience.
Professor Catani parla Italiano ed Inglese ed e’ membro del Royal College of Psychiatrists (MRCPsych) dal 2005.
Undergraduate Medical Training, University of Perugia, Italy
- Undergraduate Medicine 1991 - 1997
- MD with Honours in Parkinsons Disease 1994 - 1997
- Crispolto Morosi award for the best M.D. thesis on Parkinson's Disease
Senior House Officer, Registrar Senior Registrar Geriatrics Training
- Institute of Geriatrics, University of Perugia, Italy 1997 - 2001
- Award of the Italian Interdisciplinary Network on Alzheimer Disease ITINAD
- Alzheimer Research and Associated Disorders ARAD prize
- CCST Geriatrics 2001
Senior House Officer, Registrar Senior Registrar Psychiatry Training
- Maudsley Hospital, South London Maudsley NHS Trust, 2002 - 2009
- Dennis Hill Prize, Maudsley Hospital 2004
- CCT Psychiatry General Adult Neuropsychiatry 2009
Research Training, Institute of Psychiatry, Psychology and Neuroscience (IoPPN), King's College London Visiting research assistant 1999 2001
- Research fellow 2002 - 2005
- Value in People Award The Wellcome Trust 2008
- Hon Lecturer in Psychiatry 2005 2009
- Geschwind Prize for Behavioral Neurology (American Academy of Neurology) 2012
- HEFCE Clinical Senior Lecturer Fellowship 2009 - 2015
- Investigator Award (The Wellcome Trust) 2014 - 2019
- Professor of Neuroanatomy & Psychiatry 2016
- Honorary Consultant Psychiatrist at the Maudsley Adult ADHD Clinic 2009
- Honorary Consultant Psychiatrist at the Bethlem Royal Hospital Behavioural Disorders Unit 2009 - 2014
- Consultant Psychiatrist, The Sloane Court Clinic, 2009