If you or a loved one are in crisis and need immediate assistance, please view our Crisis Information
Dr Katie Au
BSc (Hons), MBBS (Distinction), MRCPsych
- Eating Disorders including Anorexia Nervosa, Bulimia nervosa, Binge-Eating disorder, Avoidant Restrictive Food Intake Disorder (ARFID)
- Eating disorders with complex presentations including comorbid Autistic Spectrum Condition, Personality Disorder, Type 1 Diabetes Mellitus, and other psychiatric or medical conditions.
- Depression, resistant depression including affective and mood disorder;
- Anxiety including generalised anxiety, health anxiety, social anxiety, phobias and phobic anxiety Obsessive compulsive disorder (OCD)
- Bipolar disorder including manic and manic depression
- Medical psychotherapy
- Dr Au charges £410 for an hour’s appointment and £245 for half an hour’s appointment.
- For self-pay appointments, the Clinic generally requires payment at the time of making a booking.
- Dr Au accepts patients covered by Vitality, Aviva, CISI, WPA and GeoBlue. A pre-authorisation number is required.
- Cancellations made within 48 hours of the appointment time may still be liable to be charged, at up to 100% of the appointment fee. This will be at your clinician’s discretion.
Dr Au is a Consultant Psychiatrist and Medical Psychotherapist at the South London and Maudsley NHS Foundation Trust. She is experienced in the assessment and management of common and complex mental health problems, including depression, anxiety disorders, adjustment disorder, eating disorders, bipolar affective disorder and psychotic disorders. She has particular interests and skills in treating patients holistically, by combining pharmacological and psychotherapeutic approaches. She is dually accredited as a Specialist in General Adult Psychiatry and Medical Psychotherapy.
In her NHS practice, Dr Au works as a Consultant Psychiatrist for the Eating Disorders Service at the Bethlem Royal Hospital and Maudsley Hospital. She has specialist expertise in the assessment and management of Eating Disorders, including Anorexia Nervosa, Bulimia nervosa, Binge-Eating disorder, Avoidant Restrictive Food Intake Disorder (ARFID) as well as those with complex presentations e.g. comorbid Autistic Spectrum Condition, Personality Disorder, Type 1 Diabetes Mellitus, and other psychiatric or medical conditions. Her work instrumental in the development of an NHS psychiatry peer-mentoring scheme, which can be read upon further here.
She also works as a Consultant Medical Psychotherapist and is experienced in a range of psychotherapeutic modalities, including Psychodynamic Psychotherapy, Mentalisation-Based Treatment (MBT), Maudsley Model of Anorexia Nervosa Treatment for Adults (MANTRA), Cognitive Behavioural Therapy (CBT), Cognitive Analytic Therapy (CAT), and Systemic Therapy.
Dr Au completed her psychiatric and psychotherapy training at the Maudsley Training Scheme. She is a clinical supervisor for both medical students and junior psychiatrists and is a recognised trainer by the General Medical Council. She currently teaches at undergraduate and postgraduate level and has delivered teaching on Eating Disorders to doctors and allied healthcare professionals across clinical settings. She is also a keen mentor/coach. She was the Lead Organiser and Supervisor for Trust’s Peer Mentoring Scheme for Trainee doctors and continues to provide mentoring for junior psychiatrists.
She is bilingual in English and Cantonese, and proficient in Mandarin.
If you're an experienced Consultant Psychiatrist looking to either start or build your own private practice, do see our Join Us page.
King’s College London School of Medicine, University of London
- GKT Intercalating Award (Box Scholarship) for intercalated BSc degree, 2003
- BSc (Hons) in Psychology and Basic Medical Sciences, 2004
- Travel Award for Elective in Psychiatry at Chinese University of Hong Kong, 2005
- MBBS with Distinction in Special Studies, 2006
Core and Higher Specialist Psychiatric Training in General Adult Psychiatry and Medical Psychotherapy
- South London and Maudsley NHS Foundation Trust, 2009 – 2018
- Lead Organiser and Supervisor for the Trust’s Peer Mentoring Scheme for Training doctors, 2011 – 2017
Consultant Psychiatrist and Medical Psychotherapist
- South London and Maudsley NHS Foundation Trust, 2018 –
- Sloane Court Clinic, 2021 –