Clinical Psychologists and Psychotherapists
Dr Jennifer O'Connell
BSc (Psych), MSc, DClincPsy
- Adjustment difficulties
- Anxiety related difficulties (including panic, health anxiety, worry and stress)
- Childhood adversities (including bullying, abuse, neglect, or family difficulties)
- Complex post-traumatic stress
- Low self-esteem, self-criticism, anger, shame, and guilt
- Occupational / work stress
- Personality difficulties
- Post-traumatic stress
- Relationship difficulties
- Sexual assault
- University / college student mental health
- Dr O’Connell fees are available upon request.
- For self-pay appointments, the Clinic generally requires payment at the time of making a booking.
- Dr O’Connell takes all major insurers and accepts their fee level. A pre-authorization number is required.
- Cancellations less than 48 hours ahead of the appointment will be charged the full fee.
Dr Jennifer O’Connell is a HCPC registered Clinical Psychologist who has over 10 years of experience and expertise working across the lifespan in an array of mental and physical health settings in Ireland and the UK. She specialises in the area of complex and interpersonal trauma, and currently works for King’s College NHS Foundation Trust and in private practice.
Jennifer completed a master’s degree in psychological research, with distinction, at University College London, before undertaking her doctoral training and qualifying as a Clinical Psychologist from Royal Holloway, University of London. She is currently completing further postgraduate trauma studies under University College Cork in conjunction with the Wave Trauma Centre in Belfast.
Jennifer is highly trained and experienced in working with people who are seeking support for recent and/or historic experiences of trauma or childhood adversities. Jennifer also supports with a wide range of psychological distress, including low mood, anxiety, and anger, post-traumatic stress and complex-post traumatic stress, attachment wounding, relationship and relational difficulties, low self-esteem, self-criticism, and health anxiety. Jennifer can offer a number of short and long-term evidence-based therapies including:
- Schema Therapy
- Eye Movement Desensitisation and Reprocessing (EMDR)
- Cognitive Behavioural Therapy (CBT)
- Compassion Focused Therapy (CFT)
Jennifer is passionate about supporting others in a warm and down-to-earth manner, and places great emphasis on developing a strong and trusting relationship to ensure a felt sense of safety and being understood. She has an unwavering belief that everyone can work through their difficulties and re-connect with personal strengths, resources, and values.
Alongside her clinical work, Jennifer is passionate about clinical research and mental health literacy training, areas in which she has co-authored several publications. She is also actively involved in mental health awareness training, in the supervision of clinical psychology trainees, and has experience writing psychological impact reports for survivors of sexual offences who have reported to the police.
National University of Ireland, Maynooth
- BSc Psychology, First Class Honours
University College London
- MSc Research Methods in Psychology, Distinction
Royal Holloway, University of London
- Doctorate in Clinical Psychology
University College Cork and The Wave Trauma Centre
- Postgraduate Diploma in Trauma Studies, 2022-
- West London NHS Trust, 2019-20
- Central and North West London NHS Foundation Trust, 2020-20
- King’s College NHS Foundation Trust, 2020-
- Sloane Court Clinic, 2022-