Professor Eleni Palazidou
MD(Hons), MRCP, PhD, FRCPsych
Consultations available in English and Greek
- Resistant to treatment patients with mood (affective) disorders i.e. depression, mania, bipolar disorder
- University / college student mental health
- Occupational mental health issues
- Prof Palazidou charges £400 for an hour’s appointment and £225 for half an hour’s appointment.
- For self-pay appointments, the Clinic generally requires payment at the time of making a booking.
- Prof Palazidou takes all insurers and accepts their fee level. A pre-authorization number is required.
- Cancellations less than 24 hours ahead of the appointment will be charged 50% of the fee, and non-attendances will be charged at the full fee.
Professor Eleni Palazidou, MD, PhD, MRCP, FRCPsych, is a private consultant psychiatrist with 30 years’ experience in Psychiatry, more than 20 years at a consultant level. She is bilingual in Greek and English and works regularly with other Greek-speaking clinicians at the Sloane Court clinic, and across London.
As a University Hospital consultant in Adult Psychiatry in East London (based at St Clements’ and Mile End Hospitals) Prof Eleni Palazidou gained extensive experience in the assessment and treatment of a wide range of common psychological disorders within outpatient, in-patient and community settings. She has particular interest and expertise in the management of resistant to treatment patients with mood (affective) disorders i.e. depression, mania, bipolar disorder. She has special expertise in psychopharmacology (drug treatments in psychiatry). She has many years’ experience in teaching and continues to lecture mostly on mood disorders and psychopharmacology.
She was a clinical and educational supervisor for psychiatric trainees and mentor to medical students and also new consultants. She was actively involved in the training of psychiatric trainees and had overall responsibility for the training of senior psychiatric trainees for several years overseeing the local implementation of the national restructuring in senior training.
She continues to lecture on the psychiatric trainees’ specialty course in East London as well as to the medical students at Barts and the London Medical School. She also teaches the psychopharmacology module of the postgraduate MSc course in Adolescent Psychiatry at University College Medical School. She trained in Psychiatry at the Joint Maudsley/Bethlem Hospitals and Kings’ College Hospitals. As a Research Fellow at The Institute of Psychiatry, based in the Affective Disorders Unit, she gained clinical and research experience in the assessment and treatment of affective disorders and completed her PhD on the subject of antidepressant drugs. She has published extensively on these subjects in the medical literature. She is on the editorial board of several medical journals and regularly referees manuscripts submitted for publication to medical journals. She is psychiatric advisor to the World Association of Family Practitioners (WONCA) Working Group on mental health and has contributed to the writing of the Transcultural Guidelines in the Treatment of Depression. She regularly lectures and is involved in workshops on the recognition and management of mental illness in primary care in the UK and internationally. In Cyprus she holds the position of Clinical Professor at St George’s Medical School, University of Nicosia.
Prior to starting her training in Psychiatry she obtained wide-ranging experience in general medicine, in particular neurology, and was awarded membership of the Royal College of Physicians (MRCP).
She left NHS employment in 2010 for private practice, but has continued to offer her expertise in the management of resistant to treatment patients with affective disorders and psychosis to the NHS (on an honorary basis).
She joined the Sloane Court Clinic as a private London Psychiatrist to continue working at the same high standards and principles she always aimed at while working in centres of excellence in the NHS.
If you're an experienced Consultant Psychiatrist looking to either start or build your own private practice, do see our Join Us page.
Senior House Officer/Registrar in Medicine and Neurology training
- General Medicine, Leeds Gen Infirmary/St James’ Hospital, Leeds, 1975
- Neurology & spinal injuries, Wakefield Hospital & Centre for Spinal Injuries, 1979
Senior House/Registrar in Psychiatry
- Bethlem Royal & Maudsley Hospitals, 1982 -1984
- Research Fellow, Institute of Psychiatry, Psychology and Neuroscience (IoPPN), Kings College London 1984 - 1988
Senior Registrar in Psychiatry
- Maudsley and Kings College Hospitals, 1988 - 1990
Senior Registrar/Acting Consultant Psychiatrist
- Maudsley Hospital, 1990 -1992
Consultant in Adult Psychiatry
- The Royal London Hospital – East London Foundation Trust, 1992 - 2010 and
- Hon Senior Lecturer – Barts & The London Medical School, Queen Mary University
- (Hon) Consultant, East London Foundation Trust and Hon Senior Lecturer, Barts & The London Medical School, Queen Mary University, 2010 -
- Consultant Psychiatrist – Sloane Court Clinic 2012 -
- Professor of Clinical Psychiatry, University of Nicosia, 2015 -