If you or a loved one are in crisis and need immediate assistance, please view our Crisis Information
Dr Alessia Spennati
MD, MRCPsych, MSc
Consultations available in English and Italian.
- Stress related conditions and burnout
- Emotional distress
- Occupational health matters
- Students’ mental health
- Pregnancy and postpartum mental health
- Antenatal and postnatal depression
- Tokophobia (fear of childbirth)
- Birth trauma
- Postpartum psychosis
- Preconception advice
- Depression, including treatment resistant depression
- Hypomania and mania
- Bipolar affective disorder
- Anxiety problems (generalised anxiety, health anxiety, phobias, social phobias, panic disorder, body dysmorphic disorder)
- Obsessive compulsive disorder
- Post-traumatic stress disorder
- Adjustment reactions
- Medically unexplained symptoms and somatic disorders
- Personality issues, including personality disorder
- Psychotic disorders (schizophrenia, schizoaffective)
- Dr Spennati charges £395 for an hour’s appointment and £245 for half an hour’s appointment.
- For self-pay appointments, the Clinic generally requires payment at the time of making a booking.
- Cancellations made within 48 hours of the appointment time may still be liable to be charged, at up to 100% of the appointment fee. This will be at your clinician’s discretion.
Dr Spennati is a specialist in General Adult Psychiatry, with endorsement by Royal College of Psychiatrists in Liaison Psychiatry and special expertise in Perinatal Psychiatry.
She graduated in medicine in Italy, after spending part of her training in Paris. She then completed her psychiatric training in the internationally renowned South London and Maudsley scheme, where she worked at the Maudsley, Bethlem and Guy’s and St Thomas’ Hospitals in a variety of both inpatient and community mental health services.
Dr Spennati is an expert in assessment and treatment of a wide range of mental health conditions, including depression and anxiety spectrum disorders, adjustment disorders, bipolar affective disorder and psychosis. She combines a comprehensive, holistic method in treating patients, looking at biological, psychological and social factors and using both psychotherapeutic and pharmacological approaches.
She currently works as Consultant Psychiatrist in Camden & Islington NHS Foundation Trust, leading the Perinatal Mental Health Team at UCLH (University College London Hospital), part of North London SPMHS (Specialist Perinatal Mental Health Service). Her specialist areas are antenatal and postnatal depression, postpartum psychosis, bipolar affective disorder, perinatal anxiety disorders, including OCD, birth related traumas and tokophobia (fear of childbirth).
Dr Spennati has a special interest in Women’s Mental Health and completed a MSc in Psychiatric Research at the Institute of Psychiatry, Psychology and Neuroscience (IoPNN), King’s College London.
She is a clinical supervisor of psychiatric trainees and regularly teaches medical students, junior doctors and other colleagues. She is a recognised trainer by the General Medical Council.
She is a clinical and professional advisor with the Care Quality Commission (CQC) and PQN (Perinatal Quality Network, Royal College of Psychiatrists).
She is bilingual in English and Italian.
If you're an experienced Consultant Psychiatrist looking to either start or build your own private practice, do see our Join Us page.
Psichiatra Italiana a Londra
La Dott.ssa Spennati e’ specialista in Psichiatria Generale dell’Adulto. E’ membro del Royal College of Psychiatrists ed ha inoltre subspecializzazioni in Psichiatria di Relazione e Psichiatria Perinatale.
Si e’ laureata in Medicina e Chirurgia all’Universita’ di L’Aquila con il massimo dei voti (110/110 con lode), dopo aver trascorso parte dei suoi studi a Parigi (Universite’ Paris XI). Si e’ poi specializzata in Psichiatria nel famoso programma del South London and Maudsley, conosciuto a livello internazionale, dove ha lavorato al Maudsley, Bethlem, Guy’s e St Thomas’ Hospitals, in una varieta’ di reparti e servizi di salute mentale di comunita’.
La Dott.ssa Spennati e’ un’esperta nella valutazione e trattamento di un’ampia gamma di condizioni di salute mentale, quali depressione e spettro dei disturbi d’ansia, disordini di aggiustamento, disordine affettivo bipolare e psicosi. Combina un metodo integrale e olistico nel trattamento dei pazienti, considerando fattori biologici, psicologici e sociali e usando sia approcci psicoterapeutici che farmacologici.
Lavora come psichiatra presso Camden & Islington NHS Foundation Trust, dirigendo il Servizio di Salute Mentale Perinatale alla UCLH (University College London Hospital). Le sue aree specialistiche sono depressione antenatale e postnatale, psicosi postparto, disordine affettivo bipolare, disordini d’ansia perinatali, incluso OCD (disturbo ossessivo compulsivo), traumi del parto e tocofobia (paura del parto).
La Dott.ssa Spennati ha un interesse speciale in Salute Mentale della Donna e ha conseguito un Master in Ricerca Psichiatrica all’Instituto di Psychiatry, Psychology and Neuroscience (IoPNN), King’s College London, con tesi sul ruolo dei markers infiammatori nella psicosi puerperale.
E’ supervisore clinico di specializzandi di psichiatria e un’ insegnante riconosciuta dal General Medical Council (GMC). Tiene lezione regolarmente a studenti di medicina, specializzandi e altri colleghi.
E’ consulente clinico e professionale della Care Quality Commission (CQC) e del PQN (Perinatal Quality Network, Royal College of Psychiatrists).
University of L’Aquila, Italy
- Medical degree, 2005
- Awarded maximum score 110/110 cum laude
Core and Specialist Training
- South London and Maudsley NHS Trust, 2007 - 2017
King’s College London
- MSc in Psychiatric Research, 2016
- Thesis on the role of inflammatory markers in puerperal psychosis.
- King’s College London - Perinatal psychiatry, 2017
- Maudsley Hospital – Inpatient acute ward, 2017-2018
- East London NHS Trust – Liaison psychiatry, 2018-2019
- University College London Hospital (UCLH) – Perinatal psychiatry, 2019 – present
- Sloane Court Clinic, 2022 - present