Dr Alan Ogilvie
- Depression (including treatment-resistant depression)
- Bipolar disorder
- Mood disorders
- Psychotic disorders
- Post traumatic stress disorder (PTSD)
- Student mental health
- Dr Ogilvie charges £450 for an hour’s appointment and £250 for follow up appointments
- For self-pay appointments, the clinic generally requires payment at the time of making a booking.
- Cancellations made within 48 hours of the appointment time may still be liable to be charged, at up to 100% of the appointment fee. This will be at your clinician’s discretion.
Dr Alan Ogilvie is a leading consultant psychiatrist with more than 30 years of clinical experience, currently practicing from London and Oxford.
Dr Ogilvie provides a flexible, innovative and entrepreneurial approach as well as a personalised treatment plan. His areas of expertise include bipolar disorders, mood disorders, psychotic disorders, post-traumatic stress disorder (PTSD), anxiety and depression, along with wide experience in general psychiatry. He is also able to provide second opinions.
He has a special interest and his expertise is in the understanding and treatment of bipolar disorders and severe depression. He has been involved in the care of many hundreds of people with this condition. This includes running a specialist treatment unit in Cambridge for treatment-resistant bipolar disorder and depression.
Furthermore, he was involved as founding director of Equilibrium, a bipolar foundation which launched in 2003 as an NGO spin-out from Oxford University Department of Psychiatry. This organisation had a membership network of almost 4000 and contacts from more than 167 countries. Actor Stephen Fry was its international ambassador. The foundation closed in 2016 and between 2007 and 2014, Dr Ogilvie was working part-time with the bipolar foundation and undertaking clinical work the rest of the time as a consultant psychiatrist.
As a keen researcher, Dr Ogilvie has published more than 33 articles on bipolar disorder, depression, ethics and other issues, his work being cited in more than 3000 publications. What is more, he has been a clinical expert adviser to the UK National Library for Health Mental Health Specialist Library.
Anonymous patient reviews of Dr Ogilvie's practice can be found here.
If you're an experienced Consultant Psychiatrist looking to either start or build your own private practice, do see our Join Us page.
University of Edinburgh Medical School
- MBChB, 1981-1987
- Winner of Jamison Prize and Annandale Gold Medal
Medical Research Council
- Research training Brain Metabolism Unit, Edinburgh – Clinical Scientist, 1994-1996
Higher Psychiatric Training:
- Edinburgh and Cambridge, completed 1998
University of Cambridge
- Lecturer – Department of Psychiatry, 1996-1998
- Honorary Senior Research Fellow, 1998-2002
- Honorary Senior Research Fellow and Consultant Psychiatrist, 2002-2006
- Senior Research Fellow, 2006-2007
Previous Research Funding
- Includes being a Co- Principal Investigator with the Wellcome Trust, 2003-2006
- Equilibrium -The Bipolar Foundation 2006-2016 – Medical Director
- NHS Cambridgeshire 1998-2002,
- NHS Oxford 2002-2007
- Private Practice, 2008-present
- Sloane Court Clinic, 2022 -